Tuesday, January 10, 2012

BE

ONE LITTLE WORD:

"A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything"


I've decided to choose a word for the year 2012. I've heard of others doing this...choosing one word to concentrate on throughout the year....so I decided to try it. The word I've chosen is BE.

The word BE spoke to me mostly because it is a verb, which means action. It has many uses and definitions, all of which I really need.

1. to exist or live: Shakespeare's “To be or not to be” is the ultimate question.
2. to take place; happen; occur: The wedding was last week.
3. to occupy a place or position: The book is on the table.
4. to continue or remain as before: Let things be.

I need to be...to exist. I've spent the last 17 months just surviving through my grief of losing Gabriel and then also dealing with the grief of infertility for 14 months. I honestly have not lived. It's time.

I need to be...to make things happen. Time is marching on. I need to make new goals and strive for them, as scary as that it is now that I've known such great disappointments.

I need to be...to occupy. I guess to me this means to occupy my life. Be the mom and wife that I know that I can be and that my children and husband deserve.

I need to be...to continue as before. I know how much I've changed. I know I'll never go back to the way I was, and in ways, that is good because I have learned so much, but since there is no way to change the things that have gotten me here, I need to continue on with my life. I can't give up, even though sometimes that seems like the easiest thing to do.

So this year, I will be. I will be grateful. I will be smart. I will be clean. I will be true. I will be humble. I will be prayerful. Yes, all of President Hinckley's Be's.

But I will also be positive, be hopeful, be active, be ambitious, be faithful, be courageous, be forgiving, be sensitive, be optimistic, be generous, be thoughtful, be determined, be friendly, be adaptable...and most of all, somehow, I will be happy.




2 comments:

Kris said...

Love your choice! And it fits with the one I chose, too - Breathe. On the days I can't do anything else, I can breathe, and on the days you can't do anything else, you can be. :) And then the next day, we'll do more.

Mindy said...

This is such a great idea. I have no idea what my word would be. Maybe "Do". I may copy you. There are so many things I need to do. I am pretty good at doing nothing, but it is time to start doing. Good luck on "being". Love you.